Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Daisy's First Molt!

Very first pin feather; January 11, 2011
Hello, again!

Yesterday, Rob took a sweet photo of Daisy and I noticed something: see that 'quill?' That is a called a "pin feather" and it is the very first one that Daisy has had. This photo was taken yesterday. I wasn't exactly sure that it was a pin feather until I realized she's four months old; aha!  It's that time; it is a pin feather!

Nine more in just a matter of hours!

Today, I noticed more! I could not believe how many popped up overnight! I think I counted nine more!

Well, she's right on schedule. Parakeets usually have their first molt, or "Baby Molt" at about twelve weeks old. I did notice that two of her wing feathers had fallen out. Yes, the baby is molting!

So far, she is fine and has shown no real signs of distress. Molting is very itchy, and I have noticed in the days prior to seeing these pin feather that she has wanted me to scratch her head a lot more than normal. I have noticed also, that she has become very clingy; not just to me, but to her entire 'flock' -- that being Aaron, Alex and Rob.

Looking at her more closely, I discovered one more pin feather: This one was right below her cheek in her necklace.  So in total, I counted eleven
pin feathers.  Many more will follow and soon her
cage will be covered in the lost feathers.  As I type,
Daisy is preening.  She is oiling her feathers.  I
Pin Feather near necklace.
honestly don't know if this is due to her molting or not.

She does seem to be eating more.  Molting birds tend to eat more, and she tends to hoard her seeds, so I will be feeding her foods more than seeds for the duration of her molting period, which usually varies bird to bird.  She loves eggs and as they are great sources of protein for 'keets, she'll have them daily (as weird as it sounds for a bird to consume eggs).

She has just finished preening and has flown down onto the keyboard and is all fluffed up. " Peer!"  She says proudly!  She happily pecks my nails and peeps cheerfully, so I don't think she is too bothered with the itching at the moment.  Tomorrow, I will let her have a shower in the kitchen sink (photos included), so she can ease her itching and wash away some of that flaky skin.

Hey!  Who you callin' 'Pin~Head?'
So, her baby black 'bars' will soon be replaced with yellow feathers.  I'll miss those baby feathers, but it's okay.  She is growing up to be the sweetest birdie I've ever had.  "PEER!" She says, as if she knows that I'm braggin' on her.  No longer the timid, shy baby, but now a curious, funny and affectionate friend.

Until next time ~

Keep ruffling your feathers!

Peace ♥

1 comment:

  1. Lil Cuz,

    This molting process that Daisy Mae has to go through looks very painful. The picture with all those 9 new one's on her head. It's amazing how fast they grow !

    But lucky for her she has her Mama to help remove them for her. How long does that process take until it is complete? Do they only come out on her head?

    Gotta love the last picture with her saying. Hey I'm not a Pin Head. You tell em Daisey Mae !

    "Birds of a feather flock together" or something like that.

    Cuz Fran

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and leaving me a note! I do read them all, and I appreciate the time that you have taken to not only stop by and read, but that you took a few extra moments to drop me a line! I promise to respond to all comments! Peace!